BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Helper

I'm currently in a study about the holy spirit by Catherine Marshall called "The Helper". I've only read the first six chapters, but thus far its been really insightful and has reminded me of things I once knew but had forgotten. After reading my first six chapters, [by the way, definitely read the first six chapters within hours of having to be at the study- can we say procrastinator?] I went and grabbed another book I have on the Holy Spirit to do some additional reading/studying just for me. Between the two books I read a couple of things that read struck a chord with me and I wanted to share.

Both books allude to the fact that sometimes we as Christians wish we could see Jesus face to face, or to have lived in a time where it was possible to see, talk to, hug, hang out with Him. But really, if we had of lived in that time, or even if Jesus was here in person today because of the constraints of time and space-he could only be at one place at one time. So even though that would have been AWESOME and I am very much looking forward to seeing Him face to face one day, we really do benefit from having the Holy Spirit. I was joking with my close friend Maria that if we were the last two in line to see and hang out with Jesus, but only one of us got to go- I would elbow her in the throat!...ok, not really. But if Jesus were here in person we would [at least I think we would...] probably fight each other just to get to him. I know that sounds crazy- fighting for Jesus- but we're selfish people I wouldn't put it past us. That is a HUGE benefit of Jesus leaving and sending the Holy Spirit to us. We all get to have Him with us all the time.

And that leads to my next point--- "Him". I think due to my background and being raised in one particular denomination...or maybe it was due to the church I was raised in as a child [most likely]- I don't have a tendency to think of the Holy Spirit as a 'Him', but rather a 'It'. Maybe its because of the wording. 'Spirit' or 'ghost' seems more like an it that a him to me. I know in my head that he's a him, but sometimes I slip into the habit of thinking of him as an it [goodness what a sentence!]. I think thinking of Him as a Him makes the Holy Spirit more real to us.

I'll continue to update you as I can about what I'm learning and what God is saying and teaching me through this study. I can really feel Him working in my heart and in the group. I'm excited to see what happens!

1 comments:

Joy said...

I know we teach kids to not be selfish with their things, but I think it's cool that God still gives us a nature of selfishness... in the sense that we are truly selfish of out time spent with Him. Just like He is selfish of us wanting our whole hearts!

We are made in His image, we just need to e selfish of the right things...